Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ryan M- The Flower Pot

The title of my selected image is “The Flower Pot.” I took the picture on the back deck of my home on September 20th, 2015. I took the photo with my EOS 1200D digital camera. I edited the photo by cropping the image as well as adjusting the saturation, contrast, sharpness, and definition. The photo could be better in my opinion if the green trees that are blurred in the background were not there due to how they somewhat detract from the green of the plant in the flower pot. Some additional information is that one can notice the suspended brown leaf to the right of the pot, which I believe is being held in the air by a spider web. I thought that was really cool and do not think I noticed it until after I took the picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


Hey Ryan, this is a good shot. The composition, though slightly unbalanced (this can be resolved by cropping the right and left sides more evenly), is still good because of the use of organic and geometrical shapes and the use of repetition. The geometric shapes of the wooden porch (both horizontal and vertical) help the subject stand out against the uniformity and monotony. The subject, a green flower pot, is an excellent organic shape to contrast with, not only with shape of the pot but with the energy of the flowers. The color scheme you used here is functional, but nothing mind-blowing. Green, yellow, brown, with hints of pink. It functions, but it lacks any complementary schemes. No blues, which would've really blended well with green and yellow, but hey, what can you do? The composition more than makes up for that. After all, you've framed an organic subject against and geometric background, and then you framed the porch's geometry against nature's organic shapes beyond. Overall, pretty good shot, and I mean no disrespect in my criticisms.

Anonymous said...

I like this picture. This picture has a sharp focus, but the background is a little bit distracting from the main subject. It would have been better if you cropped the photo in a little more. Overall, this picture is nice, but there could be some improvements needed.
-Nicole T HHS

Anonymous said...

Really like this picture. The focus is clear and sharp on the potted plant as well as the exposure. I really like the range of colors in this photo and the hint of pink flowers really makes it appealing to look at. I think this picture could have been better if you cropped in more on the subject. Overall really nice picture!

-Areez L HHS