Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tripp W- Drum Lug Nut


I took this picture of a lug nut on a drum for the Still Life assignment. The room it was in was giving off so much red, that my camera couldn't correct it fully, even on its highest setting, so I had to do most of the white balancing in PhotoShop. I set the F-stop to 4.5 or 6 for a shallow depth of field. I wanted to focus on the wear of the drum head and the metal rim. I think this picture could be better if it wasn't such a tight shot and the lighting was a little different. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The depth of field on the picture works very well to show how close-up the drum is to the camera. The photo is very balanced since the drum takes up the majority of the picture and the parts it does not take up are dark, making those parts seem heavier. Overall, I like this picture because the lighting makes it dramatic and interesting.
Luiza L.- HHS

Anonymous said...

This picture is pretty! I love how it looks antiqued. The blurred background gives it depth. The marks in the middle make it looked used.

Anonymous said...

This is really nice! I like that the focus isn't directly on the middle of the drum and the background is clearly out of focus/ I also like the color tone of the picture in general. The marks on the drum also give it character. And I actually like the title of it too, because I don't think that people are necessarily paying attention to the lug nut, they're looking right past it at the drum. So the title seems to redirect focus back to the lug nut. Good job!
Anissa L-HHS

Anonymous said...

This photo looks really cool! I really like the subject of the photo and all of the wear and tear that I can see on the drum head. I also like the highlights on the metal rim and I think it adds a lot of texture to the picture. The only thing I would change would be the lighting, I think I could have been a little bit lighter.