Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Olivia R - Yoshi



This photo is named “Yoshi”. This is my blood parrot cichlid, Yoshi. I took this photo in my room sometime in late August/early September. Yoshi is a really interesting fish, and the process to get this photo actually took much longer than you would think, because Yoshi is afraid of forgein objects. I had to introduce her to my camera several times before I was actually able to get a good photo. It was taken on my Nikon D3300 and I did most of my editing in photoshop. I started by increasing the brightness and contrast and then I did lots of small things to make her pop. I used the sponge tool to highlight some of her more colorful features. I also used the color replacement tool to make the water more blue. This was very difficult because I had to make sure that Yoshi was still orange. This means that I had to do a lot of work with a small eraser to remove the blue tint from the small lines that make up her fins, without removing too much of the blue in between as to keep the appearance that they are translucent, but still there. I think this photo would be better if I could have gotten some of her plants in the shot rather than her eyesore of a heater. I had a lot of fun both taking and editing this photo. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Yoshi is really cute, and I love the little smile. I agree the some plants would have been nice but overall this is still really great. I'd love to see what you did in photoshop, and the process of how you got the image to how it is now. As a whole, I really like this. You did a great job capturing Yoshi, and it was really interesting to see, as fish aren't something that I get to see at this detail very often.

- Will B HHS

Anonymous said...

Really good job on the balance of exposure, you captivated Yoshi's image and centered the fish into frame in a perfect way that brought out out it aspects best. I like the under exposed background as compared to the selective exposure enhancement towards the front of the fish. The background of the tank appeals to the rest of the photo really well, bringing out specific elements to the whole photo. Overall this is a good picture, great job!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great photo! I love how the main focus is the fish and it is really clear. I think the colors are so pretty with the blue background and the orange fish just makes it look so good. This picture gives me good vibes and a sense of calming with the colors in the photo. I overall love this photo and it is great!

-BJ HHS

Anonymous said...

I really like this photo is very high quality and the colors are great -JB

Anonymous said...

Its really good. I like the name of your fish. I like how you see the fish first. And it is not too much of the fish or too little. The exposer is really good. I like how you can still see the blue.

Anonymous said...

I really like this image... I love how the fish is brightened by the light shining at it which really enhances the image by a large margin. I also like ow the image isn't too bright or too dark in the background, you can still clearly see everything the image is portraying. Overall, this photo is great!

- Adam T. 7th

Anonymous said...

I love this picture I love how there is certain parts of the fish that it is highlighted.
TM HHS

Anonymous said...

This is a really good picture! I like how the fish has more of a sharp focus, but the area around the fish is softer and sort of blurred. It helps to bring attention to the fish. Also, I like how there are contrasting colors (the fish's color and the water) and how the colors are a little muted becuase it adds a softer feel to the image. Overall I think you did a great job and I really like the picture. I really liked what you did with the colors and the focus.
- Abigail P. HHS

Anonymous said...

I like this the focus is amazing and the colors look really good. I wish that there wasn't anything in the back bur I love it.

Anonymous said...

I really like this photo, the lighting is so nice and really complements Yoshi. The Reds and oranges on Yoshi really pop and it makes her stand out and just really tells you what the subject is in this photo. I would hang this, maybe not in my house but it looks like a picture id see in my pediatrics doctors I went to. AB-HHS

Anonymous said...

Agreed a different scenery would make this picture look much better but overall I like the image , and fact that Yoshi looks like she's smiling. A.T.