Friday, November 20, 2015

Ryan M- Bring Me Solo and the Wookie

The title of my image is “Bring Me Solo and the Wookie.” It is quite obvious that this is an image of Jabba the Hutt from Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. This particular Jabba the Hutt is a 6 inch tall Black Series action figure, so despite his notoriety as a gangster, he is one of my favorite pieces of my Star Wars collection due to his sheer girth. I took the photo on August 23rd, 2015 in my bedroom, which happens to be one of two rooms containing my Star Wars collection. It will soon be more as I get my father more and more into Star Wars as the new movies come out. I took the photo with my EOS 1200D digital camera. I edited the photo by boosting, lightening, and giving sharpness and definition to the photo. I also applied the vignette border. I feel the photo could be better if Jabba’s head was not caught in the shadow because I feel his eyes would be better illuminated without the shadow. The way it currently is gives me the feeling of him sitting on his throne in his Royal Palace or inside his Sail Barge because both locations are very dark and shadowy in Return of the Jedi.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this picture. I am a big Star Wars fan myself. I think that the field of depth is perfect. If the background was a solid color then it would be perfect. I like how Jabba's he is in the shadow, it gives a mysterious feel to the overall image. I would definitely hang this on my wall.

Dejon F-HHS

Anonymous said...

I really like this picture! I think the placement of the Jabba was perfect (in terms of depth of field). I also really like the filter that was used and I like how the subject is the only thing that is in focus. I also really like the shadow of his face. Great job on this pic Ryan!!

RP - HHS

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture! The edits you did really make Jabba stand out. I like the shadow over his eyes; it makes him look ominous. The way it is now, the lighting isn't terrible at all. However, the background could be more uniform, and the vignette border seems too exaggerated, and could be dimmed down just a tad. Besides that, it's a good photograph.

Jonathan T. - HHS

Anonymous said...

STAR WARS!!! I absolutely love Star Wars, I am a fanatic and I am zealot minded about it so I am loving your photo Ryan. I entirely think that JABBA, my not so particular favorite character, is in focus, but I wish the top was just a bit more lit up than it currently is, showing us more than his "beautiful" head. I wish that the photo had the rest of Jabba's excessively long tail onto the photo, that's my only problem I would totally hang this on my wall, because Star Wars is amazing. I love this photo so much! Thank you for sharing!!

~Alex Z - HHS

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing picture. I love the filter used and the depth and detail.I am a Star Wars fan myself and this picture just grabbed my attention. I agree that this could be better if his face was not in the shadow but overall, I really like this picture and think it turned out great. One last thing I would have love to see was the rest of Jabba's body. For example, his tale. But overall this was a great picture.