Thursday, November 1, 2012

Madhukar M -Christmas Snow


This picture is titled Christmas Snow. I took this picture over winter break a couple years ago, in 2010. My cousins and I were traveling to Pennsylvania to visit some family. On the way back, we had stopped at a gas station while my nephew went to play with the snow.

I edited this picture in photoshop and loved the way it turned out. First, I turned it black and white to take out discolorations in the background, but decreased the opacity to allow for a smooth contrast. Then, I added a mask to retrieve the color from the jacket. I then messed with the levels to enhance the image. Finally, I cropped it so that it followed the rule of thirds. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love the pop of color in the photo! The red jacket really draws your attention to the boy since the background is primarily white or discolored. I also love that it is natural and innocent with the little boy wanting to play in the snow and I think you did a good job portraying it.
Laura T-HHS

Anonymous said...

Wow Madhukar, cool picture! I really like the lighting in this picture. I think you made a good decision by retrieving the color from the jacket after you made the photo black and white. I also like how your cousin is the subject and that he follows the rule of thirds. Just to nit-pick, I think you should have removed the hole in the wall behind your cousin and you should have taken that brown streak on the wall behind him out. Overall, I really like this picture. The red jacket really makes the subject pop!

Jenna O - HHS said...

I love the contrasting colors with the red on the white wall. I think the rule of thirds was manipulated greatly in this picture. I think the red truly pops with the white wall. I wish you would have stamped out the whole but i love the angle and colors of the photo.

Anonymous said...

This is a very neat picture. It has very good lighting and the subject is completely in focus. I like how you used rule of thirds, but the subject looks like it is in between the 1st and 2nd third. Overall, I like this picture because candid portraits usually turn out really good.