Friday, September 30, 2016

Alyssa R- Home Sweet Home

My first image titled “Home Sweet Home” was taken back to where I am originally from, which is Los Angeles, California last Summer. Growing up, the beach(Newport Beach) was about 30 minutes away and we would skip school or go on the weekends to surf. It was taken with a Cannon Rebel. Every morning at 6:00 the beach was crawling with boards and wetsuits and that is the greatest memory I have carried with me throughout the years. It also has my father walking with his board and my aunt in the background just a few steps ahead. One of my favorite things to do is wake up early on a Sunday morning go to surf or taking pictures of surfing and somehow making it into the 9:00 church service. I did not edit the photo at all, I could have gotten rid of the water spot on the lens and made the colors brighter instead of gloomy. One of my favorite pictures with some of my favorite people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alyssa, I love this captured scene. Makes me want to head to the beach and try to surf. The waves look small enough for me to handle it I think. The focus and broad depth of field allow the viewer to see the detail of the water all the way to the boat in the distance. The composition follows the run of thirds resulting in a well balanced photo. I do wish the overall image was a bit brighter, which would heighten the mood and remove the gray cast that makes it feel somewhat somber. A few issues could be corrected to improve this photo. The horizon needs to be tilted down on the right just a bit to make it level, the surf board on the right would work better if it had not been cut off. And the dark spot just above the horizon and also in the sand should be repaired ( the dark spots are caused by water on the lens. I do like this image and appreciate the subject.
Ben R-HHS

Anonymous said...

Hey Alyssa, I really like how natural and peaceful your picture looks. The focus and deep depth of field really dramatizes the image really well. I agree that the image's overall color is kind of gloomy but you could argue that it works for the theme of missing California and the morning surf. I think the colors of the beach should be brought out a little more and increased sharpness would also help make the photo even better. Overall I really do like this picture; it makes me wish I were there. Raven H ~ HHS

Anonymous said...

Hey Alyssa, this is a great photograph! I really like the fact that your father and aunt stand out compared to the rest of the picture, it kind of adds a sort of balance to the photo. I also like how the gloomy, depressing colors of grey help set the mood and tone of the picture and theoretically take you back to how hard it must have been for you to leave your home and all your friends behind and the emotional stress that you must have been feeling. I believe that this photo is a keeper because of the sentimental and emotional value that it holds in it. Heath M-HHS