Thursday, March 13, 2014

Logan M- "Save Your Breath"


I took This photo over the Christmas break downtown with my Nikon 5100. I edited this in a few ways. I did a total of 3 edits. For all of them I bumped up the vibrance and bumped down the saturation to give it a grey dead look, but preserve the colors in the image. I also then played with basic contrast and brightness. I then made a unique curves layer for each version and only applied it along the edges of the mask and where I thought it was needed. Each version is a different progression of the image. The middle is the closest to the original shot. I liked the extreme edit on the left, but my favorite is the right because of the detail in the eyes and the dramatic contrast of the mask to the jacket. The last thing I did to edit the image was to remove a hard thick crack in the middle of the wall that looked like it was sticking through his head. I used the cloning tool and the patch healing tool to fix this. I think with more experimenting I could get some better shots in camera, but overall I’m happy with how it turned out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The editing done to this photo is really cool. It looks as if there are 3 people in the original shot, the only thing to give it away is background. The contrast that the mask has on the white background brings out the detail in the photo. My favorite edit is the one on the left. Nice job.

Mason L - HHS

Anonymous said...

I really love this photo and the different contrasts and levels of brightness. The gas mask gives it an interesting take and its almost apocalyptic in a way. The detail especially on the wall in the background and the mask is great. Awesome job!
-Aleena HHS

Anonymous said...

Very nice job on this photo! The different tones and contrast levels look great. The way you overlapped the same photo at the shoulder is outstanding. The overall feel of this picture is ominous and intense while still retaining a sort of sad tone. Awesome job!
John Michael A - HHS

Anonymous said...

The idea behind this image is amazing. It's very unique and tells a story. The desaturation gives this picture a grunge look. Overall, I really like what you did with this picture.

Catherine S - HHS